So you’re all excited… you just installed Outlook 2007 and you think it’s great… until your friends start forwarding you all those funny e-mails we all love to receive, but you can’t see the animation in animated GIF images.
This is not a bug in Outlook 2007, but rather a feature (that I am sure most will find rather frustrating).
As per Microsoft:
Other Unsupported Web-Related Features
The following is a list of all other Web-related features that Word 2007 does not support:
- Animated GIF images. Only a static representation of the GIF image shows.
- Flash. Only a red “X” shows in the area where the flash would display.
For full details please see:
Currently there is no known quick solution for this, but one workaround is to save the e-mail message somewhere on your hard drive and then open it using your favourite browser.
Here’s how you do it:
- Select the message, don’t open it
- Click file, save
- It should be in htm / html format by default
- Browse to a folder where you can open the mail from (I always use my desktop)
- Double click the file on the desktop and voila your message displays in your default browser (typically Internet Explorer) and you can see all the animations.
- Once your done reading (and hopefully laughing), close Internet Explorer
- Rember to delete the file and folder created by saving the message – you don’t want to waste disc space or clutter your desktop
Categories: Information Technology