How to change your password on Windows XP (domain)
If you are working on a company computer and your company has a server then most likely you need to use the domain method. (Domain username are usually in the form of DOMAIN\username or username@domain)
It is always a good idea to think of a password before attempting to change your password.
Please take the following into account when changing your password:
- Choose a password that is secure
- Choose something that you can remember
- Never give out your password to anybody else
- Never write your password down
- If your organization employs password policies, ensure that your password complies to the length and/or complexity requirements of the password policy.
- Passwords cannot be the same as your username, e-mail address or first/last name.
Usually the minimum password requirements entail the following:
- At least 7 characters long
- Must contain numbers and letters (alpha-numeric)
- Must contain both upper and lowercase letters
- Must contain at least one special character (e.g. !@#$%^&*().<> etc.)
Whilst logged on (with your own account):
- Press CTRL-ALT-DEL keys simultaneously
- In the window that appears (Windows Security), click on “Change password”.
- Put your current password in the “old password” box.
- Put your new password in the “new password” and “confirm new password” boxes.
- Click “ok”
The system will then confirm that your password has been changed or if it could not be changed a reason will be provided.
How to change your password on Windows XP (workgroup)
Use this procedure to change the password you use when you log on to Windows if your computer is a member of a workgroup, and is not a member of a domain.
- Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
- Under “or pick an account to change”, click your account.
- Click “Change my password”.
- Type your current password in “Type your current password”.
- Type your new password in “Type a new password” and “Type the new password again to confirm”.
- You can type a word or phrase to use as a memory aid for the new password in “Type a word or phrase to use as a password hint”. (Do not type your password in this box.)
- Click Change Password.